November 3, 2009

Seeing the Light

Gazing up at the night sky devoid of all light pollution, Mother Nature makes me feel so insignificant. A background blackened by infinity yet brought to life by trillions of brightly shining stars speckled across the sky is a sight that can make anyone feel trivial. The chill of the fall night wind keeps my arms wrapped tightly around my waist. My body is screaming for the warmth of my car heater but I just can’t take my eyes away from the immensity of the universe. Every few seconds a star bursts across the sky, leaving only a long trail of light before it disappears into the cosmos. I can’t see this where I live. This can only be seen in a darkness that requires no signs of human civilization.

Ironic. In the morning, Mother Nature made me feel paramount! The morning sun had a yellow-pink hue that lit up tens of thousands of trees sheltering an entire mountainside. The colors of the fall leaves, contrasting against the purple-blue sky, were bright, intense and saturated. The sun’s warm rays offered comfort as I sat on the summit of an adjoining mountain and absorbed the many colors of life. Mother Nature created a vibrancy that made me feel humbled, relaxed and alive, as if the sight was created exclusively for my self-indulgence. I can’t experience this where I live. This can only be experienced where there is ample land with dense, flourishing trees.

Where I live, the trees have long been replaced by stores, houses, condominiums, apartments, townhouses, sidewalks, playgrounds, tennis courts, basketball courts, golf courses, schools, churches, high-rises, roads, high-tension wires, automobiles and people. Gone is the darkness of the universe, the luminousness of the stars, and vibrant colors of the earth. Gone is the feeling of being humbled, welcomed and empowered. Gone is the breadth, beauty, and quietness of nature here for humanity to behold. Most call that progress.

1 comment:

Caroline LangerDavis said...

I generally consider myself a city person. But what you describe reminds me of what we give up with our sprawl. Darkness and quiet and clean skies are luxuries we have to travel to experience!